Sunday, November 18, 2012

Staying Comfortable? Not if you want to achieve your dreams!!!!

No one ever achieved greatness by staying comfortable. We all have a comfort zone we love being in. It's nice and safe and we reign supreme. The only problem with it is that to grow and learn and achieve our potential and all that we can become, we have to step outside that comfort zone and push ourselves.
Our bodies are so amazing. I'm not sure if you have ever stopped and thought about it, and maybe I have too much time on my hands, but I have thought about it a lot lately and I've figured out something pretty amazing. Whenever you get uncomfortable and do something that pushes you into that uncomfortable zone, your body compensates you for it. Think about it for a minute. You undertake a new exercise routine, or you step up into a higher position at work, or you try an activity that you haven't done before, you get really nervous and it feels pretty uncomfortable. But after you have completed the activity that made you nervous, your body releases a chemical called endorphins and it makes you feel better. It's like your body says congratulations, you have made the next step, and because of that, you are now not only able to undertake the task you attempted, but you also get a little feeling of being high and happy, and you feel great about yourself. That's pretty amazing.
Now I don't know about you, but I think that we sometimes stay far too long in that comfort zone and we don't even bother trying to attempt something new. We as a people have overcome so many adversities, we are living proof of what we can achieve when we have to. Imagine what we could achieve if we jumped before we were pushed? How often would we get that great feeling of endorphins in our blood?
It is well documented that if you don't move when you are suppose to, the universe, or God or the old people, or the fairies, or whatever you believe, will push you and they will move you to where you need to be. Sometimes we hold onto the very thing that "they" are trying to move us away from.
Why is that? Why are we so afraid to stretch ourselves and grow? So many people stay in jobs they hate, or in relationships that aren't healthy, but what is the alternative? You need to ask yourself is it worth trading your life for because that is what you are doing. Every day that you go to a job that you hate, you are trading a piece of your life for that job. Or you are trading a piece of your life for that pay cheque at the end of the week. Is it worth it?
So what are your options? You could stay where you are, unhappy and dissatisfied with life, or you can get uncomfortable, move, change or do something different. What is your life and happiness worth to you? It is my belief that the quality of your life is determined by the questions you ask yourself, and the honest answers you give. If you're not happy, then ask why, and then do something about it.
I know what that uncomfortable feeling is like. It's pretty much been my whole life. I've stayed in jobs I hated just for the money. Each day a little piece of my soul was lost, and the light went out a little more in my eyes. I was so unhappy. So I got really uncomfortable and made a change. In some areas of my life, I didn't make the change, I was pushed. My old people knew what was right for me before I did. And even though I dug my heels in thinking I knew best. They wouldn't take no for an answer. So they pushed me. And I'm thankful everyday. On the days when I don't think I have the strength to follow my dreams, or when things are pretty tough, I talk to them. I tell them how I feel and it always seems better. I know they have more wisdom than I do. I'm not that arrogant to think that I know it all. I could be here for a few lifetimes and still not know as much as they do.
We are a spiritual race of people, then why don't we call on that spirit when we need it most. Our connection to our culture and country isn't there for lip service. Or maybe for some people it is. But not for me and my family. I'm so proud to call on my people to help me through. My aunties who walk with me everyday and help me when it is really time for me to step out of my comfort zone and take a leap that I really don't want to take. Or when I want to but I'm really afraid. But as I said at the beginning, no one ever achieved greatness by staying comfortable.
And I'm not talking about greatness in terms of taking over the world – unless that is your dream, in which case, go for it!! Your greatness may be the kind words you say to your kids, or stepping up for that job you really wanted to apply for but didn't think you could even throw your hat in the ring for, let alone win. It's about what greatness is to you. It's what makes your heart smile.
Trust me, when your heart smiles, it not just yours alone, it's the hearts of our ancestors rejoicing in their strength that comes through you. There are no failures, only experiences you learn from.
Don't sit on the sidelines of life because you are afraid of being out of your comfort zone. We have been spectators for too long now. Your life is happening to you whether you are aware of it or not. You might as well do what makes you happy and grow and learn in the process. Why? Because you are so worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment